Thursday, September 18, 2008

crockpot apple and onion-stuffin' pork chops with steamed green beans

This crockpot recipe took a bit more preparation than I had anticipated, but once it was in the crockpot, all went smoothly.  I left it all day (7 hours) without a problem.  

The stuffing was very mushy, so Chef D skipped the 'gravy' because he thought the stuffing was more of a gravy anyway.  The varied flavors were a bit much for Chef D's taste.  

I enjoyed the 'gravy' -- especially the sweetness of the onions and pineapple-orange juice mixed with the saltiness of the bacon.  If I were to make this again (which I probably will not), I would reduce the butter in both the apple-stuffing and what is called for in the stuffing mix by at least half.  The meal just ended up very rich, with a layer of melted butter across the top of the crockpot mixture before it was plated.  I steamed the green beans for 7 minutes, then tossed them in a skillet with some melted butter and tossed in some slivered almonds.  I think I used too much butter with that dish, as well.

In the end, it was a tasty meal, but way too high on the fat content.  I didn't particularly like how the stuffing turned out, either.  YMMV (your mileage may vary).


No comments: