Friday, October 10, 2008

yakatori chicken with stir-fried vegetables and jasmine rice

This is a recipe from Guy Fieri's Guy Off the Hook series on Food Network.  It sounded too good to pass up, so tonight we had a little Yakatori Chicken.  Since I had several bell peppers that had been purchased last week for a meal that was never made, I decided to stir-fry them with some onions and mushrooms.  Then, at the last minute, I decided we needed a starch, so I pulled out the basmati rice.  I noticed that it suggested to let the rice soak for 20 minutes prior to cooking to get the full length of the rice, so I decided to go for it.  Wow.  That was some long rice.

The preparation was a bit labor intensive, taking more time than I usually do to prepare dinner.  In the end, it wasn't bad, and even had a decent flavor. But as Chef D put it, "ooo, chicken mcnuggets!".  Yes, he was being a bit sarcastic, but in a funny way.  If it had been a quick and easy to fix course, I may have considered it again in the future.  But, this was way too much work for a meal that did not bring fireworks to the palate.

2 comments:

Norm Deplume said...

When used to have yakitori chicken at our favorite place in Colorado when we were newlyweds, the thighs were marinated, then strung onto skewers whole. I cannot see myself ever bothering to make "meatballs" out of chicken, but is the sauce worth trying? I always love a new sauce. :)

Lisha said...

That sounds like a more appetizing method for the chicken than the meatball version. I did like the sauce, although I did not make it exactly like the recipe. I didn't have the sake, so I just used all mirin. I didn't make the dipping sauce, though