Friday, November 7, 2008

crock pot apple-bacon pork chops over basmati rice with sauteed veggies

Tonight's meal came from a Food Network menu and recipe.  I chose it because the 'pork chops and applesauce' theme reminded me of that old Brady Bunch episode -- not really, but it did bring back the memory.  I was a huge Brady Bunch fan in elementary school...I even had a BB lunch box.  But, back to tonight's meal.

I did not follow the recipe's instructions for the vegetables.  Instead, I just sauteed the mushrooms in a little butter and olive oil and sprinkled a bit of Mrs. Dash's on them.  While they cooked, I prepared the zucchini by using my  OXO julienne peeler.  This is the best tool and I highly suggest you purchase one.  I also use it to make carrot strips for salad or soup.  After prepping the zucchini, I stir-fried them lightly in a bit of olive oil and seasoned them with a little Emeril's Essence...BAM!  A touch of freshly grated parmesan and it was ready to eat.

In the end, pork chops, even very thick ones still with the bone, do not do well in a crock pot.  Although they were tender and easy to cut, they were dry.  Chef D scraped all his apple-bacon-crouton goop from the top.  I liked it okay, but it wasn't anything special.  Unfortunately, this recipe is not a keeper.

No comments: