Thursday, August 28, 2008

barbecue sandwiches

Although we really enjoy some good southern-fried okra,we couldn't find any small ones with the tender quality we desired. I also had second thoughts on the slaw, so the menu for this evening ended up being Barbecue Pork Sandwiches and a tossed salad. Since I knew I would be out of the house between 8:30 am - 4:00 pm, and leaving again at 6:30 pm, I decided to go the easy route with the barbecue. Yes, we ate pre-packed, prepared Lloyd's Barbecue in a tub. Since I am watching my calories, I passed on the buns and just added my barbecue to my tossed salad.

REVIEW:
Goal: Prepare a meal that did not require much preparation given a harried schedule.

Flavor:
Chef D thought the flavor was acceptable.
Not that the flavor wasn't good, but I had the flavor of our last pre-cooked barbecue night in mind. A few months ago, I purchased a barbecue roast from the Honeybaked Ham Company and shredded it for barbecue sandwiches. I really enjoyed those sandwiches. Perhaps the problem tonight was the fact that I did not eat the barbecue as a sandwich, but as part of my salad. Plus, you usually get what you pay for.
Texture:
Six words from Chef D: too much sauce, too little meat.
Now, I normally am not very particular about texture, but the meal tonight seems to be changing that. This 'tubbed' bbq was a little too wet -- just had a bit too much sauce and it seemed a bit mushy.
Ease of Preparation:
When all you have to do is heat it up, you can't really complain, can you?
Goal Success: It was easy and I had time to fix it, so it was successful. I cannot quite bring myself to give it 5 stars, though. I must rethink this evaluation. Perhaps I should just give an overall evaluation at the end.

Recommendations for future use:
I don't think I will buy this brand of tub barbecue again. I will either try something else new or go back to HBH.

No comments: